Tuesday, October 7, 2008

We got the "all clear"

I realize that most of you weren't even aware we were having problems (I didn't want to worry everyone), but I wanted to let you know that we're okay! I had been dealing with high blood pressure for a couple of weeks, and then last week there was a small amount of protein in my urine and I had gained 4 pounds in a week. The worst case scenario was preeclampsia, a very serious problem that can only be resolved by delivering the baby as quickly as possible. The midwife had me do blood tests and collect my urine for 24 hours (ew!) to make sure it wasn't preeclampsia. I, of course, freaked out when induction became a possibility and bawled in her office. I wouldn't mind meeting Ella early, but my care would be transferred to one of the doctors if I were induced! I really want to deliver with the midwives--I've been looking forward to the experience for almost 9 months. Anyway, we had our appointment today, and everything was fine! There was an acceptable amount of protein in my urine, and the blood work was all normal. My blood pressure is still high, though, so she really wants me to go into spontaneous labor as soon as possible. She suggested some herbs and supplements (evening primrose oil and red raspberry leaf tea) along with lots of sex and acupuncture. Hopefully we'll be meeting our little girl a little earlier than her due date!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you and your little girl are nice and healthy. I'm so excited!! Happy thoughts your way, we always have the three of you on our minds!